Admissions InformationRequirements for Graduate Certificates
The following are admission requirements for M.A. in Linguistics, M.A. in Spanish, and M.A. in TESOL:
Undergraduate degree in the desired area of
study (or an acceptable related area)
A minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0
(overall as well as within the major)
- A minimum TOEFL or IELTS score for international applicants:
- TOEFL: 79 for applicants in Linguistics or Spanish
TOEFL: 92 for applicants in TESOL
IELTS: 6.5 for all applicants
- Application Deadlines
- Fall Admission: February 1
- Spring Admission: October 1
In order to be considered for admission to one of our M.A. programs, please fill out and submit the Graduate Application.
2. Complete Supplemental Documents to be Uploaded to Your Graduate Application
- A 300-word personal statement, in which you discuss your academic background, past accomplishments, why you want to study in our program and your future goals.
· An academic writing sample in English if you are applying to our Linguistics or TESOL M.A. programs, or in Spanish, if you are applying to our M.A. program in Spanish. This can be a paper that you have prepared for an academic course.
Request three letters of recommendation from professors who know your academic work
5. Application for a Teaching Assistantship
To be considered for a teaching assistantship, please fill out the WLLL TA Application and upload it with your personal statement to your
graduate application. Please also submit the supporting documents
indicated in this application. You will first be considered for
admission to the program. If admitted, you will be considered for an
Admission to our M.A. programs is competitive. The graduate admissions committee will examine your file and will make a decision based on your academic performance in undergraduate studies, letters of recommendation from your professors who know your academic work, your personal statement and your writing sample.
The following are admission requirements for Graduate Certificates in Linguistics, Spanish and TESOL:
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 in the most recent University degree program
- A 300-word personal statement, in which you discuss your academic background, past accomplishments, future goals and why you want to study in our program.
- An academic writing sample in English if you are applying to the Linguistics or TESOL Certificate, or in Spanish, if you are applying to the Certificate in Spanish. This can be a paper that you have prepared for an academic course.
- Your resume
- One letter of recommendation, preferably from a professor who knows your academic work.
- Evidence of an introductory Linguistics course on their transcript
In order to be considered for admission to one of our M.A. programs, please fill out and submit the Graduate Application. Please search for an on-campus Certificate in Linguistics, Spanish or TESOL application.