The Classics section of the department offers courses in the Latin language, and in Greek and Roman Civilization and Myths. Other courses are occasionally offered; please refer to the section on Classics Courses in the University Catalog at http://catalog.wvu.edu/.
Instruction in Latin comprises four semesters beginning at the entry level with CLAS 101 and 102, and continuing through CLAS 203 and 204. Completion of these courses satisfies the Foreign Language requirement of the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences. The courses also satisfy the requirements of GEF area 5, and GEC objectives 3 and 8.
The courses in Greek and Roman Civilization and Culture, CLAS 231, and Myths, CLAS 232, are taught in English.
CLAS 101. Elementary Latin 1. 3 hours.
CLAS 102. Elementary Latin 2, 3
- Prerequisite, CLAS 101 or consent. Continuation of CLAS 101.
CLAS 203. Intermediate Latin
1. 3 hours.
- Prerequisite, CLAS 102 or two years of high school Latin.
CLAS 204. Intermediate Latin
1. 3 hours.
- Prerequisite, CLAS 203 or two years of high school Latin. Continuation of CLAS 203.
- CLAS 231. Greek and Roman Civilization and Culture. 3 hours.
- CLAS 232. Greek and Roman Myths. 3 hours.